* Barrow-based band, ‘first footing’ at KJC, formerly ‘The Mervyn Bean Quartet.’
* Miles Davis type sounds led by brass & guitar.
* MERVYN BEAN (trumpet and flugelhorn),PETE KASSELL(guitar),
STEVE WILDGOOSE (electric bass),MIKE KIDSON (drums)
* Much loved local group in the UK swing tradition (Alex Welch,
Chris Barber etc).
* ‘throw in some Eddie Condon, Benny Goodman influences........
mix with a smattering of humour and good cheer’.
* LES BULL (trumpet), DAVE LEE (reeds), EDDIE TAYLOR (trombone),
LAURENCE CANTY (bass), PETE BOOCOCK (drums),
PETE MAJOR (piano).
* A three-year absence has served to whet the appetite for the return
of award-winning Dutch violinist, TIM KLIPHUIS.
* Tim breathes new life into existing styles with a high energy blend of
classical, gypsy jazz and folk music.
*His improvised sound is unique and not to be missed.
* He's joined by NIGEL CLARKE (guitar) and ROY PERCY (bass)
* High octane new take on the Cool West Coast Jazz of the 60s:
Shorty Rogers, Marty Paich, Bill Holman…
* 9 piece outfit featuring some of the UK’s best big band musicians.
*GEORGE ELLIOT, TERRY REANEY (trumpets),
GLENN CLIFFORD-PERKINS (trombone),
Saxes : ALAN RILEY (baritone), VIC BAGWELL (alto), ANDY CALHOON (tenor),
FRANK FLYNN (piano), DAVE MINCHULL (drums), DAVE JOYCE (bass).
* Guitar-led foursome making their first KJC appearance.
* Eclectic, ‘straight ahead’ modern jazz: be-bop,latin, funk…
* STEVE OAKES (guitar),ED KAINYEK (saxes),
GAVIN BARRAS (bass),TIM FRANKS or PHIL BENNETT (drums).
* Trio fronted by BEN HOLDER : young British violinist/vocalist rave-reviewed for formidable technique and versatility
in the Swing tradition of Grappelli, Venuti and Benny Goodman.
* "get your feet tapping and your jaw dropping at the speed of his fingers.
Top quality musicianship and utter entertainment"
* On keyboard, KJC favourite TOM KINCAID, PAUL JEFFERIES (bass).
* Fast becoming a KJC regular, ENRICO is among the UK’s finest trumpet men.
* He learned from the best (Louis Armstrong) and has played with the best
(Acker Bilk, Pasadena Roof Orchestra, Ray Gelato etc)
* ’An exciting stage presence and a lively personality’
* Support from THE HIGH SOCIETY JAZZ BAND.
* A happy KJC return to NICOLA (bass/vocals)
and her musical chums:PIERO TUCCI (keyboards and sax),PHIL JOHNSON (drums).
* 30s-70s standards from a ‘class act with a passionate and swinging style, outstanding personality and a charismatic stage presence’.
*KEITH NICHOLS (piano) is a legend of classic British Jazz,with
a star- speckled career as multi-instrumentalist,arranger,band leader…
* His enviable technique ‘recalls the 20s & 30s masters.’
* TREVOR WHITING (reeds) co-stars and returns to KJC after far
too long an absence.
Tuesday October 13th
Spats Langham Trio
*Unmissable double header featuring
two of the UK’s most popular and versatile attractions:
* ‘SPATS’- possibly the ‘pluckiest’ man alive- on guitar, uke et al and vocals.
*JOHN- reedsman sublime- ‘lyrical approach to improvising… unflagging dynamism’.
*MALCOLM SKED (bass).
Quincy Street Quintet
* Welcome return of some old KJC friends in a slightly changed lineup.
* ‘The Band plays an eclectic mix of Latin and Swing standards from most eras and even includes small ensemble arrangements of Big Band favourites.’
* EDDIE TAYLOR (trombone) ,PAUL PALMER (tenor sax),
PETE MAJOR (Piano), LAURENCE CANTY(bass), PETER BOOCOCK (drums) .
*Festive fare from a fabulous foursome.
* Dixieland Jazz and ‘hot 20s music’.
* ANTHONY MASON -ukulele,versatile vocalist,
‘tongue-in-cheek patter with double-entendres aplenty.’
* WILLY ENTWISTLE of Temperance Seven fame-clarinet, alto sax, violin & penny whistle.
*ANDY HENDERSON -trumpet.
*COLIN TURNER- tuba,bass saxophone
PRESS/CLICK THESE ARROW BUTTONS TO ACCESS OTHER MONTHS’ EVENTS.